Wednesday, 15 May 2024

Christmas with the Cornish Girls
The Cornish Girls #2

Written by Betty Walker


I loved it! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


Published by     Avon (25 Nov. 2021)
Genre Military Romance
Pages 384
ASIN B093G31YST
ISBN-10 0008400318
ISBN-13 978-0008400316



Having thoroughly enjoyed Wartime with the Cornish Girls in December 2020, I made a note to look out for the next book in this wonderful series set during WWII, and in August 2021 I received a free copy of Christmas with the Cornish Girls for which I should now like to thank the author, Betty Walker, her publisher, Avon Books UK, and Netgalley.

Unfortunately my entire reading pile remained untouched for quite some time due to other committments, and it is only now that I have found this enthralling next-in-series novel.

The blurb:


1941. The bombs still fall, but in St. Ives Christmas is finally approaching for the Cornish Girls…

With the war ongoing, Lily is feeling anything but festive. That is, until Eva asks if she’ll join her in working at an officers’ convalescent home, lifting her spirits no end.

Eva came to St. Ives to be near the man who almost gave his life to protect hers. But will the wounded pilot ever help to heal himself by opening his heart to love?

Rose suspects the local orphanage is mistreating its charges – and it’s her job to uncover the truth before it’s too late…

Can the Cornish Girls help one another through the darkest days in order to give everyone in St. Ives the sparkling Christmas they so deserve?

The second in the uplifting wartime Cornish Girls series, perfect for fans of Nancy Revell and Donna Douglas.


WWII saga    Romance    20th Century Historical Romance


My thoughts:

I had forgotten just how much I had enjoyed the first book in this series until I began to read Christmas with the Cornish Girls, and then it all came flooding back to me.

In the first story we meet Violet Hopkins, Eva Ryder and Hazel Baxter in the setting of Porthcurno. Christmas with the Cornish Girls does not exactly follow on from Wartime with the Cornish Girls so can easily be read as a standalone, especially as the important facts of the first book are summaried where needed to give background to an event. This story takes us away from Porthcurno to St Ives and to Symmonds Hall which is being used as a convalescent home for wounded soldiers. It concentrates on Eva Ryder, who is now a qualified nurse, Violet's niece Lily Fisher who is taking up the position of assistant nurse, and Sister Rose Gray who is in charge of the wards at Symmonds Hall.

Eva became a nurse so that she could be near Flight Lieutenant Max Carmichael who was badly injured when he saved her life in London. Eva is 'head-over-heels' in love with Max but due to his condition, he does not want her to waste her time with him and constantly pushes her away. Violet is still coming to terms with an assault which happened at the hands of her great uncle in Porthcurno. She too has a romantic interest, the badly burned Private Daniel Orde, but the assault is casting a long shadow over her future. Rose is very much in love with her sister's fiancé Dr Lewis Lanyon, whom she has know since childhood. It would appear that her sister Elsie set her cap at Lewis only because Rose was interested in him. Elsie was conscripted and is working in a munitions factory near Leeds leaving the door open for Rose but Rose is honourable and despite her own feelings she determines not to betray her sister.

I thoroughly enjoyed this absorbing and well-written WWII story. Once again the main characters are easily likeable and I found myself wanting each of the girls to get their happy ever after. I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series Courage for the Cornish Girls.



Purchase from:

Amazon UK   Amazon US   Amazon CA   Amazon AU



Author Bio – Betty Walker

Betty Walker lives in Cornwall with her large family, where she enjoys gardening and coastal walks.

She loves discovering curious historical facts, and devotes much time to investigating her family tree.

She also writes bestselling contemporary thrillers as Jane Holland.



Other stories I've read by Betty Walker





No comments:

Post a Comment